Wednesday 10 April 2013

Let the food fest begin....

I was not always known as being the fabby food maker of the group (baked beans incident- one fine example!) however I love food and I love to travel- what better way is there to extend a cooking repertoire and practice those kitchen techniques. Happy to say that I am now fairly confident in the kitchen, especially in the baking department, I have to give thanks to all of those women in the family (unfortunately no males have come out of the closet of culinary genius yet, apart from UJ) and my experiences of living away from home. I just thrive on soaking up any new flavours, ideas and masterpieces of food, drink and anything rather tastual. These discoveries will be delivered to you all through this blog- travels with your taste buds- what better way is there to appreciate a culture than through what it has to offer your stomach ;)

I am currently living in Amsterdam, The Netherlands working as an au pair for a French family- already two food cultures to explore on a daily basis. I also studied in Nantes, France for a year and got to discover the brilliance of Breton foods. I would love to share with you what I have seen and tasted, the best places to eat (in my opinion), typical dishes to scoff, different takes on ‘foreign’ foods and some ravenous recipes to try.


Albert Cuyp market- a couple of streets from where I live- nice food and flowers :) 






As this is the first post here is a taster of the kind of things that are coming up… !!

  • ·         The Netherlands’s culinary past
  • ·         Albert Cuyp Market
  • ·         Stroopwafels, hagelslag and the Dutch desire for sweetness
  • ·         My favourite Amsterdam restaurants
  • ·         Food in France- galettes et crepes, du cidre, caramel beurre salé, sel de Guérande
  • ·         International food in Amsterdam
  • ·         Bars and clubs,  Cafés and afternoon tea
Anyhow, this is going to be a journey through culinary curiosities, delicious delights and new sources of nomminess- join me fellow foody fans and let the food fest begin :)

Jo* 




No comments:

Post a Comment